Orthodontic treatment is for everyone, not just children and teens. Believe it or not, but the American Association of Orthodontists states that out of every five patients, one is over the age of 21. Moreover as the saying goes; “30 is the new 40, 40 is the new 50…” in this day and age more and more healthy aging adults want to maintain or improve their dental esthetics and functionality.
Here is where the latest advancements in Dentistry and Orthodontics come into play with a multidisciplinary approach. In other words adult orthodontic treatments usually demand a closer “Team Approach” where the Orthodontist, General Dentist and Periodontist, among other specialists team up to address all the needs of the patient by taking into consideration the overall health of the teeth, gums, bone and even a systemic or “whole body well being”.
This approach and treatment philosophy is of utmost importance for a positive treatment outcome as more and more adults receive treatment because they have realized the value and positive health benefits of achieving and maintaining a healthy smile.
Benefits of Adult Orthodontics in Miami
Adults can benefit from orthodontic treatment in many ways. These include:
- Align the teeth to create a more aesthetic and beautiful smile
- Correct relapse after previous orthodontic treatment due to lack of long term retainer wear
- Improve the ability to brush and floss, especially for crowded or overlapping lower front teeth
- Create a better or more comfortable bite and ability to chew
- Address missing teeth
- Close spaces between the teeth
- Reduce excessive wear on the teeth due to grinding or poor bite
- Jaw surgery to correct discrepancy between the upper and lower jaws.
Appearance of Braces
Many adults are concerned with the appearance of braces. Often, Invisalign® (The invisible alternative to braces) can be used to treat adults. This technology involves clear removable aligners, fabricated through advanced 3D imaging to align the teeth. For more severe problems, we have the option of clear ceramic brackets instead of metal.
Soreness | Discomfort
Orthodontic treatment is no more uncomfortable for adults than children. Adults undergoing orthodontic treatment report the same level of soreness as children (although adults are more willing to tell us about the soreness).
Typically, the teeth are most uncomfortable 12-24 hours after an orthodontic adjustment and will disappear within 3 to 5 days. Modern appliances are smaller and more comfortable to wear. Modern techniques, with the new titanium technology, put less pressure on the teeth to cause discomfort, while moving the teeth more rapidly and efficiently. It also decreases the time required between adjustments to every 8 – 10 weeks. Treatment time, on average, is completed in 15-18 months.
Reasons Patients are Seeking Adult Orthodontics in Miami:
- Improper teeth fit due to bad bite or malocclusion
- Crowded or spaced teeth that causes tooth decay and/or gum disease
- Jaw pressure and pain caused by crooked teeth and crossbites
- A hope for a healthier and more confident smile
For this and many more reasons many adults are seeking orthodontic care, and you should too.
Adult Treatment Options
Our practice offers a wide range of Treatment options for adults.
- 3M Incognito® Lingual Invisible Braces.
- Clear Ceramic Braces
- Metal or Gold Braces
- Micro-screw aka TAD Assisted Orthodontics
- Surgical Orthodontics
The fee for adult orthodontic treatment is determined the same way as child or adolescent treatment. It is based on the severity of the problem, the complexity of the correction, the appliances used and the length of time to correct.
Dr. Garcia has treated individuals in their 50’s, 60’s and even their 70’s. It is never too late to gain the smile you have always wanted.