How to Survive Summer BBQ Season with Braces
Posted on July 15, 2019
Summer is here! That means outdoor barbecues with family and friends will be abundant. Whether celebrating a national holiday, graduation or attending a simple gathering, summer barbecues are a common summertime activity meant for everyone to enjoy. So how do you survive a summer BBQ while wearing braces? Fear not, we’ll break down the foods you should avoid and the foods you can enjoy while undergoing orthodontic treatment.
Foods to Avoid During a BBQ
Orthodontist Dr. Francisco Garcia at Garcia Orthodontics recommends avoiding the following common barbecue foods:
- Raw Veggies: By now everyone understands the importance of eating vegetables. However, consuming raw veggies while wearing braces could cause more harm than good. To avoid, damaging your brackets or archwires, cut veggies into small, bite-size pieces and chew using your back teeth. Another option is to drizzle olive oil, salt, and pepper onto the veggies, wrap them in aluminum foil, and cook them on the grill.
- Corn on the Cob: While eating corn straight off the cob is not good for braces, corn removed from the cob is fine to eat. Eat the kernels as a side by themselves or add them to a salad.
- Pretzels and Corn Chips: We understand that sometimes you need a bit of crunch in your life. Sometimes that crunch could lead to broken brackets and wires. Avoid eating pretzels and if you absolutely have to have a chip, opt for something other than corn chips and chew them slowly with your back teeth one at a time.
- Tough Meat: Avoid tough or stringy meats – stick to soft meats and be sure to eat them slowly.
Foods to Enjoy During a BBQ
Don’t let the list of foods above discourage you from attending an upcoming barbecue. There are still plenty of foods you can eat that won’t interrupt your orthodontic treatment. Here are some of the delicious foods you can still enjoy:
- Popsicles: We recommend making your own with fresh fruit and juice.
- Soft Fruits: melons, grapes, and kiwis are perfect summertime fruits to enjoy even with braces. Eat them by themselves or all together in a tasty fruit salad.
- Cheeses: Believe it or not, cheese is a great source of calcium for your teeth.
- Tender Meats: As long as the meat is tender enough to fall off the bone, enjoy!
- Cooked Beans
- Soft Breads
- Soft-Baked Cookies and Lightweight Crackers
At Garcia Orthodontics, we want you to enjoy your summer. For questions about eating with braces or to schedule an appointment, contact our office. Happy grilling!